Mr Vikas Thapar
Mr Vikas Thapar is the President - Corporate Development & Strategy at Emcure Pharmaceuticals Limited. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Management Science (1996) from the University of California, San Diego. In 2000, he secured a Masters in Business Administration degree from the University of Southern California. Vikas has worked in companies like Agilent Technologies and Ebay, USA. With 15 years of work experience in Finance and Business Development, Mr Thapar has been a integral part of the management team for past 11 years.
Mr Samit Satish Mehta
Mr Samit Mehta is the President of Research & Development in Emcure Pharmaceuticals. Mr Mehta is a graduate and a post graduate in Commerce from the Pune University. Samit did his MBA from the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. He has worked as a management consultant (strategy) at Ernst & Young and advised companies in different sectors including education, mining and health-care.
Mr Sanjay Rajnikant Mehta
Mr Sanjay Mehta is the President, Commercial in Emcure Pharmaceuticals and he’s been associated with the company since 1989. This Commerce graduate from the Pune University has shaped the company’s commercial structure with years of service & ingeniousness.
Dr. Sanjay Singh
Dr. Sanjay Singh is the Chief Executive Officer of our subsidiary, Gennova Biopharmaceuticals Limited. He has been associated with Gennova since October 2006. Sanjay is a Graduate in Science, Post Graduate in Science (Biochemistry) from the Lucknow University and PhD in Biochemistry from the Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow. Prior to joining Gennova, he worked with National Institute of Health, USA.
Mr Prakash Kumar Guha
Mr Prakash Kumar Guha is the Managing Director of our subsidiary, Zuventus Healthcare Limited. He has been associated with Zuventus since July 2002. He is a graduate in Science from the Utkal University. Prior to joining Zuventus, he worked with Wander Limited.
Mr Fouad Benghalem
Mr Fouad Benghalem holds the position of the Chief Executive Officer with our subsidiary, Emcure Mena FZ-LLC. He holds a graduate degree in Law and Political Science from the University Mohamed V – Rabat, Morocco and a degree in Business Administration from the High School of Commerce and Management, ISCAE, Casablanca, Morocco. Prior to joining Emcure Dubai, he worked with GlaxoSmithkline Pharmaceuticals International. He has been associated with Emcure since September 2012.
Mr Marvin Samson
Marvin Samson is the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Heritage Pharmaceuticals Inc. since September 2016. Mr. Samson has received a Bachelor of Science degree (chemistry) from Temple University and an honorary Doctor of Science degree from the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia.
Mr. Samson holds five (5) U.S. patents pertaining to pharmaceutical manufacturing. He also is active on numerous charitable and industry boards. He currently serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia. In addition, he is a member of the Board of Directors of Virtua Health System, NanoPass Technologies Ltd., Flynn Pharma, Antares Pharma Inc., Circassia Pharmaceuticals plc, and The Franklin Institute. He is also the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Samson Medical Technologies, L.L.C., a company specializing in injectable drug delivery systems and programs for hospital and alternate site pharmacists.
Board of Directors
Mr Humayun Dhanrajgir
Mr Humayun Dhanrajgir is the Chairman and an Independent Director of our company. He is a graduate in Chemical Engineering from Loughborough University, United Kingdom, a member of the Institute of Chemical Engineers, United Kingdom and a member of the Chartered Engineer, London. He has also completed the advanced management program from Harvard Business School. He has a significant experience in the pharmaceutical industry. He has held several senior management positions including the position of the vice chairman and the managing director of Glaxo India Limited. Mr Dhanrajgir has also held the position of the managing director of Kodak India Limited and he retired from this position in October 2000. He was the president of the Organization of Pharmaceutical Producers of India in 1992 and was also a member of General Committee of Bombay Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Mr Dhanrajgir is also a trustee of Breach Candy Hospital Trust, Mumbai and Lintas Employees Trust. He is on the advisory board of the United States Pharmacopeia (India). He is a member of the Global Advisory Board of Asian Center for Corporate Governance and Sustainability. Mr Dhanrajgir has been on the Board since 2000.
Mr Shreekant Krushnaji Bapat
Mr Shreekant Bapat is an Independent Director and a Non-Executive Director of our company. He is a graduate in Commerce from Pune University. He is a highly distinguished erstwhile officer of the Indian Police Service who has held senior positions with the Government of India and the Government of Maharashtra such as Joint Director – Intelligence Bureau, Ministry of Home Affairs, Commissioner of Police, Mumbai and Member of the Maharashtra Public Service Commission. Mr Bapat is a recipient of the President’s medal for distinguished service and Police medal for meritorious service. Mr Bapat was the president of the India chapter of a global philanthropic foundation for seven years. He has special interest in areas relating to national security, human resource development and corporate social responsibility. Mr Bapat has been on the Board since 1999.
Dr. Girish L. Telang
Dr. Girish Telang is an Independent Director and a Non-Executive Director of our company. He is a medical graduate from Grant Medical College, Mumbai University. He served in Indian Army Medical Corps for five years. He has significant pharmaceutical industry experience during his career of 35 years with Roche, a Swiss pharmaceutical company, where he was instrumental in starting its operations in India and was appointed Managing Director in 1998 and later given the regional responsibility of heading operations of Roche India Management Centre. He retired as the vice chairman and a member of the board of directors of Roche Products India in March 2013. He is on the board of directors of Masters Biopharma India Private Limited. He is a member of Governing Body of Kundnani College of Pharmacy and L.H. Hiranandani College of Pharmacy, Mumbai University and on the Research Advisory Committee of Pravara Institute of Medical Sciences, a deemed University. He has been on the Board since 2012.
Mr Berjis Minoo Desai
Mr. Berjis Desai is an Independent and a Non-Executive Director of our company.
Having practised transactional and dispute resolution laws, for the last 37 years, Berjis Desai, upon reaching 60, retired as Managing Partner of JSA, a national law firm having more than 300 lawyers across seven locations in India. A Master of Law (starred first) from the University of Cambridge, Berjis is now an independent legal counsel engaged in Private Client Practice, that is, succession and estate planning for HNIs and promoter families through wills, trusts and family arrangements; resolving family, testamentary and business disputes through mediation and confidential fast track arbitration; and regulatory aspects of offshore investments, residential status and citizenship, insolvency and asset reconstruction advisory.
A former journalist, Berjis Desai is a part time writer and columnist. His other interest includes breeding of thoroughbred horses and study of comparative religion. Mr Desai has been on the Board since 1997.
Mr. Samonnoi Banerjee
Mr. Samonnoi Banerjee is the Managing Director of Bain Capital Advisors (India).He joined Bain Capital in the year 2008. Bain Capital is one of the oldest and leading global private investment firms in the world. Prior to joining Bain Capital, he was an Engagement Manager at McKinsey & Company and led teams in the healthcare industry.
He is also a member of the Board of Directors of Colour Advisors India Private Limited.
Mr. Samonnoi received his MBA from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He graduated with an MS in Economics and a BS in Chemical Engineering from BITS Pliani, Mumbai.
Mr Satish Ramanlal Mehta
Mr Satish Mehta is the Managing Director and the Chief Executive Officer of our company. He is a graduate in Science and a post graduate in Chemistry from the Pune University. He has also obtained a post graduate diploma in management from the Indian Institute of Managment, Ahmedabad. Mr Mehta has vast experience in the pharmaceutical industry. His leadership has made our company a major player in the pharmaceutical industry. He has been on the Board since 1981.
Dr. Fakrul Sayeed
Dr. Fakrul Sayeed is Board Member of our company. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy from Dhaka University and is a Master of Science (M.S.) in Pharmaceutical Chemistry from University of Sciences in Philadelphia. He also holds Ph.D. in Pharmaceutics/ Pharmacy from Temple University, Philadelphia, PA. He is a professional with over 35 years of leadership experience in management, research & development, quality control, quality assurance, compliance, regulation and manufacturing of pharmaceutical products. Prior to joining our group, he was the President of the PTS International Inc. He has been associated with the Emcure Group since 2007 when he joined as CEO of Emcure Pharmaceuticals USA Inc. He currently serves as President – Global Technical and Quality Affairs. He was inducted to the Board in March 2016.
Dr. Mukund Keshao Gurjar
Dr. Mukund Gurjar is an Executive Director and Chief Scientific Officer (Research and Development) of our company. He is a graduate, a post graduate and Ph.D. in Chemistry from the Nagpur University. He also holds a second Ph. D. degree in Chemistry from the London University, United Kingdom as well as a post-doctoral fellowship from Toronto, Canada. Prior to joining our company, he was the deputy director of the National Chemical Laboratory, Pune where he spent 25 years spearheading innovative and advance research in Organic Chemistry. He has over 32 years of experience in pharmaceutical sciences and is a fellow at various national and international academies. He is a member of the editorial board of the prestigious journal Organic Process Research & Development published by the American Chemical Society. For his contributions to synthetic organic chemistry involving both basic and applied research, he has been felicitated with various awards. A large number of students have obtained Ph.Ds under the supervision of Dr.Gurjar and has published more than 200 papers in various international journals. He has been associated with our company since 2001 and also became a member of the Board in the same year.
Mr Sunil Mehta
Mr. Sunil Mehta is an Executive Director of the Company. He is a graduate in Commerce from the Pune University and a post graduate in Business Administration from the Institute of Management Development and Research, Pune. He has been associated with our company since October 1983. He joined the Board in 2013.
Mrs Namita Thapar
Mrs Namita Thapar is a graduate in Commerce from the Pune University. She is a Certified Chartered Accountant from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and received her MBA from the Fuqua School of Business in 2001. She is currently the Executive Director of Emcure Pharmaceutical & is responsible for Finance, HR and Domestic Marketing. Prior to returning home to India, Namita worked in the US for Glaxo and Guidant (now Abbott) in various finance roles.
Mrs Thapar is also the Founder and CEO of Incredible Ideas Ltd, a franchisee of Young Entrepreneurs Academy, USA, which brings innovative entrepreneurship education to middle and high school students in India.
Namita serves as a Board Member of Finolex Cables Ltd and is an active Member of Young Presidents Organization.
Terms of Appointment
(Pursuant to the provisions of schedule IV to the Companies Act, 2013)
The broad terms and conditions of appointment of Independent Directors are as follows:
I. Role and Induction:
An Independent Director (ID) has the same legal responsibilities as any other director and the Board together has collective responsibility for the success of the Company. Various legal and regulatory provisions will need to be observed when carrying out duties, the most important of these include the Company’s Articles of Association and the Indian Companies Act 2013 (as may be amended from time to time). In case the shares of the Company are listed on a recognized Stock Exchange, the Listing Agreement (including provisions on corporate governance) with the Stock Exchange (SE) will also apply. ID will of course be provided with an appropriate induction programme which will explain their role and responsibilities as a director of a listed Indian Company in more detail.
II. Terms of Appointment:
1. The appointment as an ID on the Board will be approved by the members at the AGM. Appointment may be renewed on or prior to the Termination Date inter alia in accordance with the Companies Act, 2013. As Independent Directors, they will not be liable to retire by rotation.
2. On or prior to the Termination Date, ID may resign from his position at any time by serving a reasonable written notice. The written notice of resignation shall be in the form and manner as provided in the Companies Act, 2013.
3. The Appointment may be terminated at any time by the Company in accordance with the Company's Articles of Association or the Companies Act, 2013 including any amendment, modification, variation or re-enactment thereof. Upon such termination or resignation for any reason, ID will not be entitled to any damages for loss of office and no fee/commission will be payable to ID in respect of any unexpired portion of the term of the Appointment.
4. The Board may, if it deems fit, invite ID for being appointed on one or more existing Board Committees and the copies of the terms of reference for each of such committees will be given to ID upon such appointments. Their Appointment on any other Committees of the Company constituted from time to time will be communicated to them.
As a member of the Board along with other Board members, Independent Directors are responsible for fulfilling key functions and duties, as set out under section 149(6) read with Schedule IV of the Companies Act, 2013 and more particularly as follows:
1. Undertaking appropriate induction and regularly updating and refreshing their skills, knowledge and familiarity with the Company.
2. Exercising duties with due and reasonable care, skill and diligence and exercising independent judgment while working to promote the objects of the Company for the benefit of its members as a whole, and in the best interests of the Company, its employees, the shareholders, and the community.
3. Monitoring the effectiveness of the Company's governance practices and making changes as needed.
4. Monitoring and reviewing Board Evaluation framework, while ensuring a transparent Board nomination process with the diversity of thought, experience, knowledge, perspective and gender in the Board.
5. Seeking appropriate clarification or amplification of information and, where necessary, take and follow appropriate professional advice and opinion of outside experts at the expense of the Company.
6. Help in establishing Committees of the Board with well defined mandates, and full disclosures about composition and working procedures and overseeing the process of disclosure and communications and whenever required participating constructively and actively in the committees of the Board in which ID is a chairperson or a member.
7. Ascertaining and ensuring that the Company has an adequate and functional vigil mechanism and for ensuring that the interest of a person, who uses such a mechanism, are not prejudicially affected on account of such use.
8. Striving to attend all Board Meetings and general meetings of the Company and treating all shareholders fairly, where Board decisions may affect different shareholder groups differently.
9. Reporting concerns about unethical behaviour, actual or suspected fraud or violation of the Company's or Ethics Policy.
10. Complying with all the conditions of the Code of Business Ethics as set out under Schedule IV of the Companies Act, 2013.
B) Fees and Expenses
1. During tenure, ID will be paid sitting fees of Rs. 20,000/- (Rupees Twenty Thousand only) per Board Meeting or any Committee thereof or such revised amounts as the Board may decide from time to time. Fees will be paid after deduction of TDS, as required under applicable law.
2. In addition to the fee described in B (1) above, the Company will reimburse the reasonable expenses incurred by ID for participation in the Board and other Committee meetings. Details of expenses incurred will have to be communicated to the Company Secretary.
3. In addition to above, ID may be remunerated by the Company as authorized by the Board of Directors in accordance with the provisions of the Companies Act, 2013 and the rules thereto.
C) Other directorships and business interests
It is accepted and acknowledged that ID may have business interests other than those of the Company. As a condition precedent to commencement of the appointment, ID is required to declare to the Company any such directorships, appointments and interests to the Board. Thereafter, ID is required to declare to the Company whenever there is any change in the circumstances which may affect his status as an ID.
D) Code of conduct
During the Appointment ID shall comply with relevant regulations as may be issued by Ministry of Corporate Affairs, the Companies Act, 2013 and rules made thereunder including the Schedule IV (Code of Conduct) of the Companies Act, 2013 and such other requirements, as the Board of Directors may from time to time specify.
All information in relation to the Company acquired by ID during the appointment and tenure as an ID is confidential and should not be disclosed to any person or Company (whether during the course of the Appointment or at any time after its termination) by virtue of their position as an Independent Director of the Company.
The Company has directors' and officers' liability insurance and it is intended to maintain such cover for the full term of the Appointment. The details of this insurance will be provided separately.
As part of duties ID shall ensure compliance with the following:
- The Act
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Disclosure and Investor Protection) Guidelines, 2000
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Prohibition of Insider Trading) Regulations, 1992
- The Listing Agreement between the Company and the Stock Exchange Limited, if and when listed
- The Company’s code of conduct for directors and senior management, with which ID is required to confirm compliance annually
- The Company’s code of internal procedures and conduct for the prevention of insider trading
Indian law will apply to Appointment letter of ID and the parties submit to the jurisdiction of the Indian courts at Pune.
Appointment letter of ID constitutes neither a contract for services nor a service contract.